New & Exciting Masterclasses for 2013
The 2013 Masterclass programme is kicking off with a bang already as the first sold-out event took place last week at Transport for London and The London Transport Museum. The Rail Transport Engineering Masterclass provided delegates with a unique look into the Transport for London signalling school. Participants looked at the history and the future of signalling. The hands on nature meant that participants could try out mechanisms for example the levers that demonstrate the air-pressure systems used to move the tracks. Rowan Joachim, TfL Project Lead Engineer said at the Masterclass, “It’s critical for more students to aspire to go into the Engineering sector. Lecturers have a key role in building interest and raising awareness of Engineering amongst their learners.”
Upcoming Masterclasses 2013
- Energy Transmission & Distribution Masterclass - Tuesday 19 February 2013, National Grid Training Centre in Newark. This Masterclass is designed to give an overview of the current energy distribution systems focusing on the gas and electrical grid. Day-to-day control and maintenance issues faced by National Grid will be learnt through practical activities at the training centre.
- Rapid Food Testing Technology Masterclass - Thursday 21 February 2013, University of Chester's Riverside Innovation Centre. A UK leader in work based learning, University of Cheshire offers specialist expertise through its Faculty of Applied Sciences in food science and technology, nutrition and dietetics. Those fortunate to secure a place on this unique Masterclass will discover the latest on food technologies, with a focus on nanotechnology applications relevant to food. Industrial context will be at the centre of this event, with industry experts showing current practices in the food industry, with particular reference to how rapid testing technologies are enabling the sector to deliver cost-effective, simple and on-site testing by staff with limited technical expertise.
- Recycling: 5 Years’ Time Masterclass - 21 March 2013, Closed Loop Recycling in Dagenham. This event is a wonderful chance for lecturers in any area of science and engineering to find out about the future of recycling and what it means for the green agenda. This Masterclass will include a tour of Closed Loop's facilities.
- Welding and Fabrication Masterclass, 19 April 2013, The Welding Institute (TWI) with the Association of Welding, Fabrication Training and Education (AWFTE) in Cambridge. This Masterclass will highlight both new and existing technologies in welding and joining techniques. The skills shortage in this field is reportedly one of the biggest facing UK engineering companies and it is limiting growth. Industries seriously in need of these skills include manufacturing, communications and offshore energy, including oil & gas and renewable power. Colleges therefore have the opportunity to meet direct employer need and attract more engineering students by introducing welding technologies into their curriculum.
- Innovation in Agriculture, 10 July 2013, NIAB’s Innovation Farm, www.innovationfarm.co.uk This Masterclass will look at innovation in the key sector of agriculture and the impact on the future requirements for training and development in this area, including how Colleges can ensure their provision addresses the needs arising from new techniques in farming, in particular plant genetics and crop management. It will be taking place on.
NEF’s Masterclasses that are coming up in 2013 that you may be interested in include:
- Global Data Management - Oracle, Linlithgow, Scotland.
- Renewables and Wind Turbines - Siemens Integrated Energy Service Training Centre, Newcastle
- Cybersecurity - Bournemouth University
- Green Roofs: Innovation for BuildingHost - TBC, Midlands or London
What the participants say…about Masterclasses in 2012:
“It has convinced me of the way forward. I will now seek ways of acquiring more knowledge.”
“Simply the best, very informative and I have a lot to think a lot about as what to deliver in the future”
“Very enjoyable and informative with a lot to think about”
What will you have to say about this year’s Masterclasses?
To book a place on any of these, or to find out more about the Masterclasses that we hold, please contact Robyn Burriss at NEF